Your dog can unfortunately fall ill, here are the main canine diseases and pathologies, their symptoms and remedies:
Welcoming a new pet into the home is always a very emotional moment. But keep in mind that like humans, these are vulnerable to specific diseases depending on the species.
Thus, as soon as your four-legged friend arrives, you will have to make sure to do so. vaccinate against diseases commonly seen by your veterinarian. They are often at the origin of the main diseases of the dog.
Symptoms ofcontagious hepatitis are very similar to distemper and can be prevented thanks to vaccination. The animal that suffers from it may display all or some of the following signs:
– A high temperature that can exceed 40 degrees
– Loss of appetite and therefore weight
– Swollen throat
– Profuse diarrhea with loss of blood
– Opacity of the cornea which becomes more blue.
formidable, the distemper causes symptoms in the dog that cannot escape the vigilance of his master. Be careful if you detect the following clues: this viral infection is highly contagious !
– High fever
– Purulent discharge from the eyes and nostrils
– Lack of appetite, weight loss
– Opacity of the cornea for the most serious cases
This disease can be prevented by having your dog vaccinated.
Parvovirus is a very serious infectious and viral disease but fortunately avoidable if the dog is vaccinated. Its symptoms are:
– Severe dehydration
– Haemorrhagic diarrhea
– Complete loss of appetite
– Hyperthermia (increased body temperature)
This disease is very common in puppies bought in high density dog communities. As with the previous ones, you will save your pet a lot of pain by vaccinating upon acquisition (if it is not done yet).
– Strong hacking cough with threat of pneumonia
– Inflammation of the pharynx
– Purulent discharge from the nostrils
– discharge from the eyes
– Lack of appetite and sadness
Leptospirosis is a highly contagious disease between dogs and is transmitted by rat droppings or polluted water. It results in the following signs:
– Yellowish then hemorrhagic diarrhea
– Heart failure
– Renal failure
– Yellow mucous membranes
Well known, rabies is probably the first disease that is spontaneously associated with dogs. the rabies vaccine will relieve you of this risk causing the following symptoms:
– Fit of Fury
– Abundant salivation
– Need to bite
– Paralysis of the pharynx in the final stage
Unfortunately for the animal, death is near when the symptoms appear.
This disease, also called tick fever, commonly appears in the fall. Very virulent, it is characterized by:
– Dark red urine
– Signs of anemia, jaundice
– Loss of appetite
If you observe these symptoms in your dog, run to your veterinarian! He will administer two injections 48 hours apart who can save your dog if it’s not too late.
Leishmaniasis and heartworm disease
These two infections are common around the Mediterranean and in tropical countries. They are transmitted by mosquitoes.
Heartworm Symptoms (heartworm):
– fatigue on exertion
– Cough that sets in
– Cardiac disorders which can cause secondary syncope.
– Lesions in other organs.
Regarding the leishmaniasis, the symptoms are numerous and the dog may not experience all of them. However, the most common are:
– Thinning of the muscles of the face
– Lack of appetite
– Cutaneous symptoms (the hairs fall especially on the level of the head and one observes thin and very abundant dandruff).
The dog can contract the tetanus during a walk for example. 5 to 20 days laterwe can then observe the following signs:
– Inability to open the mouth
– Abnormal contractures
– Abnormally erect and stiff ears
– Abnormal salivation
– Rigid gait
If you notice your pet showing these signs, you should go to your veterinarian as soon as possible. Tetanus is of course a disease against which your dog is normally vaccinated automatically if you have acquired it from a pet store.
To find out more, do not hesitate to consult our glossary of dog diseases
To protect your pet, also consider insuring it with a mutual health insurance for animals