Sporty, affectionate, calm, dogs all have unique and different qualities. Some breeds of dogs also have the ability to take on a protective role vis-à-vis their family. What are the different breeds of guard dogs? How to choose the right one for you? Answers.
The dogs to the characters protectors and territorialare often perfect companions to ensure the security of the house and its occupants.
Why Choose a Guard Dog Breed?
The role of a watch dog is to protect its territory from potential intruders. Thanks to his flair, a dog detects danger more easily and warns his master more quickly.
These dogs enjoy patrolling and marking their territories around the house.
Contrary to popular belief, a guard dog is not an aggressive dog. He won’t mindlessly attack an animal or a human.
He will start barking in order to dissuade this one from entering his territory, and according to his education, will wait for an order from his master to be silent, to push back the intruder or not to move.
The different breeds of guard dogs:
The German Shepherd
the German shepherdis the working dog par excellence, very robust and athletic, it is a dog called ” versatile “. It was once used as a herd dog. Faithful and courageous, it is now used as a police dog, war dog or guide dog.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a German Shepherd is, on average, between 10 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 22 kg to 40 kg and measure from 55 cm to 65 cm at the withers.
- Fur : this dog has a short and harsh coat that is very dense.
- Physical peculiarities : its double coat gives the appearance of a mane.
- Health : This large dog is prone to hip dysplasia.
the Dobermanis a dog of German origin, known as the ” police dog “. As its name suggests, it is an excellent guard dog, but also an excellent life companion. Endowed with a sometimes difficult character, he knows how to be delicate and attentive, especially with children, once they are well educated.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Doberman is, on average, between 10 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 32 kg to 45 kg and measure from 61 cm to 72 cm at the withers.
- Fur : it has a hair of smooth texture.
- Physical peculiarities : this dog is distinguished by its clearly visible withers and its short and muscular back.
- Health : the Doberman is a globally robust and resistant dog, except to cold and humidity.
the Rottweiler is a very robust and strong dog. Very intelligent and sure of himself, the Rottweiler must be educated as soon as possible. This dog of a dominant nature is hardly impressionable, which makes him the most popular guard dog.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Rottweiler is, on average, between 8 and 11 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 42 kg to 54 kg and measure from 56 cm to 68 cm at the withers.
- Fur : his hair is smooth, hard and tight.
- Physical peculiarities : it is recognized by its developed and powerful jaw.
- Health : this big dog is rarely sick.
The Great Dane
the German mastiff is a valiant and courageous dog, he is known for his deterrent physique and the power of his barking. This dog is made for guarding, which does not prevent him from being calm and poised. He is an excellent companion and a faithful protector vis-à-vis his family and children.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Great Dane is, on average, between 10 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 45 kg to 70 kg and measure from 70 cm to 75 cm at the withers.
- Fur : the fur of this dog is smooth and very short.
- Physical peculiarities : this dog differs from its congeners by its imposing physique.
- Health : this breed of dog has a very fragile frame during its first 3 years.
the Boxer is a docile and intelligent dog. Very affectionate and protective of his masters, he loves to be cuddled and does not let any intruder approach his territory. It is a sporty and courageous dog, which was used as a fighting and hunting dog.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Boxer is, on average, between 10 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 25 kg to 30 kg and measures from 53 cm to 60 cm. A male can weigh up to 35 kg and is about 63 cm tall.
- Hair : He is a smooth-haired dog.
- Physical peculiarities : it is recognizable by its head and its massive body. But also by his annoying tendency to drool.
- Health : this medium-sized dog can suffer from respiratory problems due to its short muzzle.
The bull terrier
the Bullterrier is a reputedly stubborn but courageous dog. Very affectionate with humans, he will not hesitate to put his life in danger to defend them. Despite its imposing physique, this dog is a rather calm dog, which does not support loneliness.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Bull Terrier is, on average, between 11 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 20 kg to 40 kg and measure from 35 cm to 50 cm at the withers.
- Fur : this dog has short, shiny and hard hair to the touch.
- Physical peculiarities : the Bull Terrier is characterized by its almost flat skull from ear to ear.
- Health : this breed is unfortunately subject to a hereditary defect, deafness.
SEE ALSO – Follow Onyx, this dog who detects bed bugs
Adopting an animal commits you, it is a decision that you will have to think carefully about. Do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or the shelter closest to you before starting. They will be able to give you their advice on the breed of dog that will suit you best.