White dogs fascinate with their beautiful immaculate coat. But only a few races are exclusively. What are the white dog breeds?
Whether large or small, long or short haired, white coated dogs leave no one indifferent. Discover 5 dog breeds with white hair like snow.
The Pyrenean Mountain Dog
the Pyrenean mountain dogalso called ” patoo “, is one of largest dog breeds. This majestic giant was traditionally used to guard and defend flocks. Calm and balanced, it is the perfect companion for families with children.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Pyrenean Mountain Dog is, on average, between 10 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 50 kg to 59 kg and measures from 65 cm to 75 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 64 kg and measures 80 cm.
- Physical peculiarities : this large dog with an imposing stature is entirely white.
- Fur : quite long, supple and very thick, his coat protects him during harsh winters in the mountains.
- Character : intelligent and affectionate, he is very appreciated for his social side. He is very brave and devoted to his family.
- Living conditions : this gentle giant needs wide open spaces to be happy. Family life suits him very well.
- Health : this dog has a robust health, he does not fear the cold at all, since he is well protected by his coat.
the Samoyed is a Spitz-type dog that takes its name from the Samoyed tribes (semi-nomadic peoples of Siberia) where it originated. Robust and elegant, this dog is an excellent herding dog. It was once used for driving and guarding reindeer herds. Kind and sociable, he enjoys human company.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Samoyed is, on average, between 10 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 15 kg to 22 kg and measures from 48 cm to 53 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 30 kg and measures 57 cm at the withers.
- Physical peculiarities : this elegant Spitz has the distinction of being entirely white.
- Fur : his thick coat allows him to withstand harsh winter climates very well, but much less strong heat.
- Character : The Samoyed is a dog that needs to be constantly stimulated.
- Living conditions : it is impossible to leave this dog locked up for too long, because it could become destructive.
- Health : this robust and resistant dog very rarely falls ill.
The West Highland White Terrier
the West Highland White Terriermore commonly known as ” Westies is a dog from Scotland. It was once used for hunting foxes, badgers and vermin. He is a very affectionate little dog who loves spending time with his master. Easy to live with, it will however require attention.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a West Highland White Terrier is, on average, between 12 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : males and females weigh on average from 7 kg to 10 kg and measure from 26 cm to 28 cm at the withers.
- Physical peculiarities : this little dog has completely white hair.
- Fur : this dog has a double coat: a hard outer coat and a short undercoat.
- Character : the Westie has a jovial and gentle temperament, very popular with children and seniors.
- Living conditions : this little dog adapts to all lifestyles, as long as he is near his masters. In an apartment, it must be sufficiently walked and stimulated to avoid any risk of obesity.
- Health : the West Highland White Terrier is an overall resilient dog. However, be careful with his diet, this little dog can quickly suffer from obesity.
The Swiss White Shepherd
the Swiss white shepherd, formerly called white shepherd, is a sheepdog originating from North America. The first dogs of this breed were introduced to Switzerland in the 70s. It was in Switzerland that this breed of dog was developed, and since 1991 it has had the name “Swiss White Shepherd”. This intelligent and well-balanced dog is an excellent working and companion dog.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Swiss white shepherd is, on average, between 10 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 25 kg to 35 kg and measures from 55 cm to 60 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 40 kg and measures 66 cm at the withers.
- Physical peculiarities : this shepherd with a robust physique has the particularity of being entirely white.
- Fur : his long hair is very thick and allows him to resist various bad weather.
- Character : this dog is very close to his master, so it is impossible to leave him alone for too long.
- Living conditions : this breed of dog will prefer a garden in the countryside to living in an apartment.
- Health : The White Swiss Shepherd is a very solid breed. However, this breed has a genetic anomaly, called MDR1, which can make it difficult to tolerate certain medications.
The Dogo Argentino
As its name suggests, the dogo argentino is from Argentina. It is a breed of dog selected for hunting big game. This hunting dog is the result of several crosses between former fighting dogs, Bullmastiffs, Bull Terriers and Bulldogs. This dog is very pleasant to live with, he is naturally peaceful and loving.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Dogo Argentino is, on average, between 12 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 40 kg to 43 kg and measures from 60 cm to 65 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 45 kg and measures 68 cm at the withers.
- Physical peculiarities : this dog with a powerful physique has the particularity of being entirely white.
- Fur : the hair of this dog is short and smooth.
- Character : the Dogo Argentino is an excellent guardian, courageous and faithful. He tends to demand a lot of affection from his master.
- Living conditions : sporty and athletic, this breed of dog is not made for apartment living. A garden is essential to satisfy his need for physical activity.
- Health : This dog is in very good general health. However, like all large dogs, he is prone to ax dysplasia.
Adopting an animal commits you, it is a decision that you will have to think carefully about. Do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or the shelter closest to you before starting. They will be able to give you their advice on the breed of dog that will suit you best.