The Collie, the Border Collie or the Bobtail are long-haired dogs that are very popular for their elegant physique. Before adopting one of these dogs, discover their physical particularities and especially their differences in character.
The long haired dogs are recognized for their elegance. However, this majestic fur can also scare future owners. Indeed, it requires much more maintenance than dogs with short hairs.
the Collie is an ideal life companion for families. He is a calm, gentle, docile and tender dog with children. This breed of dog is very active, it is a perfect companion for sports.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Collie, on average, is between 8 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 18 kg to 25 kg and measures from 51 cm to 56 cm. A male can weigh up to 29 kg and is about 61 cm tall.
- Physical peculiarities : this dog has a very dense coat. It has small ears and a long body.
- Fur : his hair is very dense. It can be of different colors: sable, sable and white, tricolor or blue merle.
- Character : he is of a friendly, cheerful and active temperament. He is a dog who listens and is devoted to his masters.
- Living conditions : the Collie can adapt to any lifestyle. If he lives in an apartment, he must be taken out regularly.
- Health : it is a robust dog and which resists rather well to cold and bad weather thanks to its hair. However, like all dogs of his size, he is prone to hip dysplasia.
the bobtail or Ancestral English Shepherd Dog (Old English Sheepdog), is a large, very robust sheepdog. The Bobtail is a very affectionate dog that requires very special maintenance and daily brushing.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Bobtail is, on average, between 10 and 12 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 28 kg to 38 kg and measures from 55 cm to 62 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 40 kg and is about 66 cm tall.
- Physical peculiarities : the body of this dog is completely covered with thick hair.
- Fur : his hair is abundant, generally gray or blue.
- Character : intelligent, faithful and affectionate, this dog has multiple qualities. However, it is a difficult dog to train.
- Living conditions : This imposing dog breed is not made for apartment living. He needs space to be happy.
- Health : the Bobtail is a healthy dog.
The border collie
the border collie is an affectionate, very active and intelligent medium-sized dog. With a protective instinct, he is known to be an excellent herding dog and a perfect playmate for children.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Border Collie is, on average, between 10 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 18 kg to 25 kg and measures from 48 cm to 52 cm at the withers. A male can weigh up to 28 kg and is about 55 cm tall.
- Physical peculiarities : it is a dog with a resistant physique. Its very dense coat provides it with very good protection against bad weather.
- Fur : his long, semi-long hair can be declined in several colors.
- Character : quite sensitive in nature, the Border Collie needs attention. Very soft and intelligent, it is the ideal companion for families.
- Living conditions : this breed of dog is not made to live in an apartment. Hyperactive, this dog needs a lot of space to exercise.
- Health : the Border collie is one of the strongest dog breeds.
the afghan hound is a very large dog from Afghanistan, as its name suggests. His speed made him an excellent hunting dog. He is also a sweet, elegant, caring and very independent dog. Its long and thick coat protects it from low temperatures.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of an Afghan hound is, on average, between 12 and 14 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average from 25 kg to 30 kg and measure from 63 cm to 74 cm at the withers.
- Physical peculiarities : it is a long-legged dog that has a silky coat texture.
- Hair : this dog has a long and fine hair, starting from the front towards the back and forming a topknot.
- Character : this independent dog remains very affectionate towards his masters.
- Life conditions : : this breed of dog is not made to live in an apartment. Very sporty, the Afghan hound needs space to exercise.
- Health : this breed of dog is very solid. However, due to his tall stature, he is predisposed to hip dysplasia.
The Australian Shepherd
the Australian shepherd is a dog cut out for physical activity and work. It is a very affectionate breed of dog that does not lack character. Agile and intelligent, it fits perfectly into family life.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of an Australian Shepherd is, on average, between 12 and 15 years.
- Height and weight : a female weighs from 19 kg to 26 kg and measures from 51 cm to 53 cm. A male can weigh up to 34 kg and measures about 58 cm.
- Physical peculiarities : This breed has a well-proportioned physique and fairly long, supple fur.
- Fur : it can be blue color “blackbird“, black red “blackbird“, red. All these colors can exist with or without spots.
- Character : he is a very active and sociable dog, he needs to learn and exert himself physically.
- Living conditions : it’s not really made for apartment living. He prefers houses with gardens to give free rein to his sporty temperament.
- Health : The Australian Shepherd often presents with eye problems such as canine hereditary eye disease.
Adopting an animal commits you, it is a decision that you will have to think carefully about. Do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or the shelter closest to you before starting. They will be able to give you their advice on the breed of dog that will suit you best.