To make your next vacation a success, make no mistake, here are at least six reasons to choose the south of France, Langudoc-Camargue in Occitanie. 300 days of sunshine a year….
If you are looking for a destination that will allow you to relax, to do exceptional activities, to visit unique places, the Languedoc-Camargue destination awaits you. Located in Occitane, in the south of France, this region will leave you with unforgettable memories. Here are at least six reasons to go there.
1. A wide variety of activities
Between sea and mountain, summer and winter, the Languedoc-Camargue destination benefits from a rare diversity of activities which makes it the ideal place for active holidays. Whether on the coast for kitesurfing or sailingor inland for all forms of hiking and leisure…
But it is also a destination for relaxation, with its spa and fitness resortsand its spaces of thalassotherapy.
2. Its cultural and natural heritage
With 8 sites listed as World Heritage by UNESCO, the Occitania South of France destination accounts for almost a quarter of the classified sites in France! 5 are located just 90 minutes from the Languedoc-Camargue destination: the Canal du Midi, the paths of Saint-Jacques, the Causses and the Cévennes, the Pont du Gard, the city of Carcassonne. Sublime and moving places forged by men and nature that are to be discovered.
You will also appreciate the natural wealth of the region: in particular the Camargue biosphere reserve, the only place in Europe where flamingos nest, as well as the Causses and Cévennes, the Gorges du Tarn or Hérault, the Cirque de Navacelles, and the emblematic Canal du Midi to cruise aboard a barge.
3. Farniente or nautical activities on the coast
At your disposal : more than 100 km of sandy coast in a Mediterranean climatewith more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
This coastline has jealously preserved treasures : the diving areas of Cap d’Agde, the lido near the port town of Sète, the immensity of the wild beaches of Espiguette, the ponds around Mauguio-Carnon.
Here you can admire the most breathtaking unspoilt landscapes. From the Camargue biosphere reserve to the Hérault gorges, from the Cirque de Navacelles to the coastal lagoons or to the immense page of Espiguette flown over by pink flamingos, you are invited to take part in a real contemplative session. participate.
4. A very gourmet art of living with its incredible gastronomy
The cuisine of the region is known for its unique character: cheeses, fresh seafood, culinary specialties such as cassoulet, cod brandade, tielle Sétoise, bull gardianne, etc.
the “eat well” is accompanied by a ancestral culture around wine because the destination is part of the largest vineyard in the world.
5. A land of ancestral traditions
The Languedoc-Camargue destination, a melting pot of multi-ethnic cultures, is a land of ancestral customs, traditions and folklore.
At the start of the year, the carnival parties set the tone. It takes different forms depending on the towns and villages, such as that of Pézénas.
Along the Mediterranean, or near the Canal du Midi, it’s the turn of the water parties to delight locals and visitors during jousting tournaments in Sète and Palavas, or even during traditional rowing tournaments.
Bullfighting and horse passion are also at the origin of many events: Camargue races but also feriasgreat popular festivals where people dance, eat and drink until dawn.
6. A myriad of charming towns
A myriad of towns or villages of character, oscillating between history and modernity, are available to you: Nîmes, Carcassonne, Montpellier, Pézenas, Uzès, La Grande-Motte, Aigues-Mortes, Agde, Grau du Roi-Port Camargue , Palavas-Les-Flots, Sète, Mauguio-Carnon, Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert,…
The essentials of Languedoc-Camargue
- Aigues Mortes: you want an authentic and festive stay under the sun of the Camargue, Aigues-Mortes, land of traditions with its horses and bulls is the destination of your holidays.
- Cap d’Agde Méditerranée: Cap d’Agde Méditerranée is an ideal region to spend your holidays. Rich in 20 km of beach in 3 seaside resorts: Cap d’Agde, Vias and Portiragnes, with coasts of fine sand, volcanic or lined with pine forests and an authentic hinterland with its towns and villages with preserved heritage, long-lived traditions and multiple crafts.
- Grau du Roi: a discreet resort, people come here above all for the pleasures of the sea. The charm works without you realizing it.
- La Grande Motte: La Grande Motte is renowned for its unique and daring architecture in the shape of pyramids, its 7km of fine sandy beaches, its water activities but above all for its lush vegetation.
- Mauguio Carnon: between land and sea, Mauguio Carnon benefits from a privileged environment. Natural and historical heritage come together, Camargue and Spanish culture intermingle.
- Palavas-les Flots: Welcome to a traditional fishing village in the heart of the marvelous Mediterranean! Every morning, meet fishermen who offer their fresh fish sold on the quays.
- Pont du Gard: the Pont du Gard is the most majestic part of an aqueduct built by the Romans. This masterpiece of impressive architecture, listed as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1985, is set in a breathtaking natural setting, this stone colossus is the highest ancient bridge in the world.
- Sète: in Sète, a little gem anchored in the Mediterranean, the passion for the sea punctuates the life of the city. From the Etang de Thau to the Big Blue, fishermen, sailors and oyster farmers have in common this iodized universe, a source of wealth and a southern art of living.
- Montpellier Méditerranée: 11 km from the beaches of the Mediterranean which can be reached by bike, Montpellier is the ideal place to stay for lovers of heritage.
- Nîmes: an unexpected destination, a city with many faces, let yourself be surprised by its unique personality.
A taste of what awaits you: On video…
How to come to Languedoc-Camargue?
The gateway to Languedoc-Camargue is Montpellier airport. Montpellier airport is conveniently located just 10 minutes drive from the city center.
From €129 round trip from Luxembourg
In only 1 hour 45 minute flight, treat yourself to a well-deserved vacation. take off with Luxair of Luxemburg and land at Montpellierthe city that will take you to all the dream places of Languedoc and Camargue.
Up to 3 flights per week with Luxair until 29/10/2022: Book your tickets now
in French: Languedoc-Camargue
in German: Languedoc-Camargue
Find us on Facebook
Editorial publication produced by