Siamese, Ragdoll or Sacred Birman, blue-eyed cats have always aroused charm and fascination. What breeds of cats have blue eyes? Do all kittens have blue eyes? At what age do a kitten’s eyes have their final color? Answers.
Some cat breeds are known for their beautiful blue eyes. Discover our non-exhaustive list of blue-eyed cat breeds.
Do kittens have blue eyes?
At birth, all kittens have their eyes closed. When they open them a few days later, like many mammals, they usually have blue eyes.
During the 3 to 6 months following the birth of the kitten, the eye color genes come into action and it is at this time that the final color of the iris appears. The eyes can then turn green, brown or even orange.
If a blue eyed cat, that’s because he doesn’t have melanocytes in his iris. Therefore, he does not produce melanin and his eyes cannot be pigmented.
What breed of cat has blue eyes?
There are certain breeds of cats that are genetically predisposed to have blue eyes. These cats have blue eyes from birth and their color does not change in adulthood.
This is particularly the case of the Siamese, the Turkish Angora, the Ragdoll, the Sacred Birman or the Snowshoe.
However, even for these breeds, it can happen that some cats are born with blue eyes, but that color changes appear over the months. By opting for one of these breeds, you still have a good chance that your cat will keep his beautiful blue eyes.
Blue eyed cat breeds:
the Siamese is a cat from Thailand known to be of great elegance. This breed of cats has a strong personality. However, behind this assertive character, there is above all a cat that cannot stand loneliness. Active, curious and talkative, the Siamese is a pleasant life companion who is very faithful to his master.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Siamese is between 15 and 21 years.
- Height and weight : males and females weigh an average of 2 kg to 6 kg and measure up to 30 cm at the withers.
- Physical features: we can recognize this cat thanks to its darker hair at the ends of its legs, muzzle and ears.
- Fur : This breed of cat has fine, shiny coats that are generally chocolate point (milk chocolate), blue point, red point, lilac point, seal point, cream point and tabby point.
- Character : the Siamese is a very talkative cat, who knows how to make himself heard to ask for attention.
- Living conditions : this cat adapts to all lifestyles as long as you don’t get bored.
- Health : the Siamese possesses solid health. Nevertheless, it can be affected by certain diseases such as renal amyloid, aortic stenosis or even progressive retinal atrophy.
The Turkish Angora
L’Turkish Angora is a very old cat breed that originated in Turkey. Sporty, playful and sociable, he enjoys the company of his fellow cats and dogs. This cat with a graceful physique likes to spend time with its master. Its extremely soft coat has a texture close to that of the feather.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Turkish Angora cat is between 13 and 16 years.
- Height and weight : male and female weigh on average between 2 kg and 5 kg and measure up to 30 cm at the withers.
- Physical features: : The Turkish Angora has a slender, thin and slender body.
- Fur : his hair is medium to long and thicker on his stomach and chest.
- Character : sporty, independent and not very shy, the Turkish Angora is a cat that needs space to let off steam.
- Living conditions : The Turkish Angora is a cat that needs to hunt and explore its environment to be happy.
- Health : this cat has a solid health with an important longevity.
The Ragdoll is a cat from the United States. Her name ” rag doll in English was given to him because of his docile and kind temperament. The Ragdoll is a calm, homebody cat who appreciates the comfort and security of a good home. This affectionate cat loves contact with its owners.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Ragdoll cat is between 12 and 17 years.
- Height and weight : the Ragdoll can measure up to 1 meter in length. Males weigh between 4 and 9 kg and females between 3 and 8 kg.
- Physical features: this cat is characterized by its dark spikes on the ears, paws, eyes and tail.
- Fur : This cat has a very silky, semi-long coat that is generally white in color.
- Character : this quiet, homebody cat will enjoy spending time with his masters.
- Living conditions : this cat prefers the comfort and softness of living in an apartment.
- Health : this breed of cat has a solid health, but the breed can be predisposed to two genetic diseases: HCM, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (Hypertrophic Cardio-Myopathy) and PKD (polycystic kidney disease).
The Sacred of Burma
The Sacred of Burma is a cat of still mysterious origin. This breed of cats is perfect for families, especially with children. Indeed, the Sacred Birman is an affectionate and cuddly cat who likes to spend time with his masters. This docile cat is very easygoing.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Birman is between 14 and 17 years.
- Height and weight : males and females weigh between 4 kg to 7 kg and measure 30 cm at the withers.
- Physical features: we recognize this breed of cats by their large eyes of a deep blue which recall those of the Siamese.
- Fur : the Birman has long cream or white colored fur with white tinted legs.
- Character : known to be a ” cat dog “this cat likes to spend time with his masters.
- Living conditions : this breed of cat adapts perfectly to living in an apartment.
- Health : the Sacred Birman does not have fragile health. However, this cat may suffer from urinary disorders due to too high a concentration of urea or creatine in its urine.
The Snowshoe is a breed of cat created in the 1960s in the United States. The name of this blue-eyed cat can be translated as “snowshoes” or “snow shoesin French, in reference to the white coat of its legs. This curious, calm and playful cat is perfect for families with children.
- Lifetime : the life expectancy of a Snowshoe is between 12 and 15 years.
- Height and weight : males and females weigh between 3 kg to 5 kg and measure 30 cm to 35 cm at the withers.
- Physical features: As with all colorpoint cats, the Snowshoe has darker colored ears, mask and tail than the body.
- Fur : this cat has a silky short coat and dense color: mitted or bicolor.
- Character : tender, sweet and affectionate, this cat loves contact with his masters.
- Living conditions : this breed of cat thrives in all types of environments.
- Health : The Snowshoe possesses solid health and has no known hereditary diseases.
Adopting an animal commits you, it is a decision that you will have to think carefully about. Do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or the shelter closest to you before starting. They will be able to give you their advice on the breed of cat that will suit you best.